[Kstars-devel] branches/kstars/carbonix/kstars

Victor Carbune victor.carbune at gmail.com
Sun May 30 22:31:44 CEST 2010

Hello,

> Wouldn't it be better to keep text files and generate database using some script
> maybe during build.

It might be better to generate it on build if we are maintaining the
current object list (and actually having all the necessary files).
However, the scope of the project is to extend the deep sky object and
hence, there is no reason on recreating .dat files with the same
structure for many other objects. Or is it?

> This gives more control on database structure and knowledge
> about conversion won't became lost (It happens)

The conversion is entirely done in the KStarsDB class, current in the
main directory, so actually nothing gets lost! (for this purpose I've
saved the original image_url.dat, info_url.dat and ngcic.dat, to be
able to create the database on the fly, whenever required (see the
first line of code in DeepSkyComponent::loadData() method).

There's one question I wanted to ask. Where exactly should all these
method (conversion) stay? Is the kstarsdb.cpp file good, and is the
location ok? There are other methods, in KStarsData for example, which
load the contents of image_url.dat and info_url.dat. Should I change
these methods so they actually load the information from the database?

I am accepting any other ideas regarding the organization and
structure of the project. Just to resume, until now I have:
1) Created the kstarsdb.cpp and kstarsdb.h files in the main directory
of kstars (this class only does the conversion)
2) Modified the DeepSkyComponent::loadData() method, so that it loads
everything from the database.

> Also file `kstars.db' is missing. Did you forget to include it?
Indeed, I forgot to add it. However, it is a binary file - should I
add it to the svn now? Since it's going to change (new objects) the
following the days, probably. It is really easy to generate it in its
current state(one needs just to uncomment the first lines of
loadData()).

Here's a copy (just paste it in the data directory) [1]

Some other related, relevant information may be found on the project blog [2]
Thanks for the fast feedback.

Victor

[1] http://swarm.cs.pub.ro/~victor/kstars.db
[2] http://karbonix.blogspot.com/2010/05/kstars-deep-sky-object-database.html