[Kstars-devel] Downloadable star catalogs

Khudyakov Alexey alexey.skladnoy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 21:01:08 CET 2010

В сообщении от 26 февраля 2010 21:53:19 Lukas Middendorf написал:
> Am Monday 22 February 2010 schrieb Khudyakov Alexey:
> > It seems that knewstuff doesn't play well with big files. I cannot
> > download USNO catalog because it won't fit into my 512M /tmp.
>
> It indeed seems to be a problem with free disk space.
>
> The USNO catalog needs a total of 5.4GiB of disk space while being
>  installed. 1.4GiB for the original tar.bz2 (in /tmp)
> 2.0GiB for the tar after uncompressing (in /tmp)
> 2.0GiB for the real catalog (in /home)
>
> If you run out of disk space in the last step (I have /tmp and /home on the
> same partition) you get only part of the file.
>
> I guess it could be optimized by either deleting the original download
>  right after uncompressing and before unpacking or by doing the
>  uncompressing and unpacking in one step to skip the *.tar. What is the
>  right component to report this against?

Actually file could be downloaded and uncompressed without using /tmp at all.
Simple shell script example:

wget "$URL" -O - | gunzip | tar xf -

I think this is right approach. Most likely knewstuff wasn't designed with
really big files in mind.

Right component is knewstuff in kdelibs. And please post bug number here if you

P.S. Currently KStars uses old knewstuff2. I will port it to new variant
shortly.