[Kstars-devel] Downloadable star catalogs

Lukas Middendorf lukas.middendorf at freenet.de
Fri Feb 26 19:53:19 CET 2010

Am Monday 22 February 2010 schrieb Khudyakov Alexey:
> It seems that knewstuff doesn't play well with big files. I cannot download
> USNO catalog because it won't fit into my 512M /tmp.

It indeed seems to be a problem with free disk space.

The USNO catalog needs a total of 5.4GiB of disk space while being installed.
1.4GiB for the original tar.bz2 (in /tmp)
2.0GiB for the tar after uncompressing (in /tmp)
2.0GiB for the real catalog (in /home)

If you run out of disk space in the last step (I have /tmp and /home on the
same partition) you get only part of the file.

I guess it could be optimized by either deleting the original download right
after uncompressing and before unpacking or by doing the uncompressing and
unpacking in one step to skip the *.tar. What is the right component to report
this against?