[Kstars-devel] Re: polar view

David Powell achiestdragon at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 13:30:35 CET 2010

hi Akarsh
guess i need to clarify the problem a bit more
probably best way would be to explain the problem i guess

best observation angle is vertical (shortest path though the atmosphear)
if using a polor mount on the scope then you avoid the need for the scope to
have to reach its rotation point like on the "horizontal"/alt az system
if you are using kstars to look at the point directly above  then as you may

know  panning around there the view rotates around that point
making it hard to both get your bearings properly
if using kstars with a connected polar mount scope then that view rotation
axis should
be alligned to the celestial pole where it has the same problem
one of the advantages of using a polar mount is it that the aria directly
above can be photographed
without having actual fov rotation during a exposure

this way  other than rotation of the fov to compencate is perferabe and a
lot more pratical to follow whats happening
as the sky rotation point  matches the equipment setup
then the fov rotation correction is only needed to correct the rotation of
the cam angle on the tube of the scope itself as just a user setable offset
value

from the programming side i guess its as easy eather way to manage this but
from a usage point of view
if fov only rotation is used then it would be fair to say ..
that trying to interprate the fact that your view is using one rotation axis
and the scope fov using another at
although the scope and fov view are correctly displayed trying to
intrerprate the view angle and navigate it as displayed is tricky to say the
least

Regards
David