[Kstars-devel] Re: polar view

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 11:11:05 CET 2010

>    quick description
>    is it possible to add a* polar based view as well as the default alt/az
>    system
>
>    longer discription
>    when using kstars the view is as it would be for a alt az mount** ie*
>    centered on the location with the views rotation
>    based on the point directly above
>    if using a polar mount on a telescope connected to it via inid then the
>    displayed data should* be rotated around the pole
>
>    mainly if you set the fov symbol to a rectangle to display the fov of an
>    attached cam then it is at the wrong rotation for the actual
>    fov* amongst other things

Hi David

I don't understand your point completely. As far as I know, the
"Horizontal Coordinates" mode (I think it's now called "Switch to
Horizonal View") in one of the menus uses Alt-Az coordinates.

Firstly, the FOV symbols still don't rotate -- they are fixed
horizontally, which is unfortunate, and that's something we must
change very soon.

But what you are saying, I guess, is (once we get them to be
rotatable) that they should rotate as expected by slewing a telescope
on an alt/az mount. I think that should be doable to.

I'll try to do this after 15th December. This might be an interesting
GCI task as well.