[Kstars-devel] Installing the USNO NOMAD catalog excerpt

Jeamy Lee jeamy.lee at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 12:30:35 CEST 2010

  Hello Ronn!, Hello all:

I started my old notebook and installed KDE4.4 for testing the WinKDE
and KStars.

KStars with USNO is working properly, with some obstacles:

Downloading ends with an error (maybe the same "2GB bug" as in the old
linux version. i could'nt verify this).
The unziped tar file is stored in the systems temp-dir correctly, but
"untaring" this file fails.

Therefore before you do the stuff below, you should have a look into
this directory(ies):
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\.kde\share\apps\kstars
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\.kde\tmp-COMPUTERNAME

maybe you find a "kstars-xxx.tar" file with the USNO-data in there.
Unzip it into the KSTars dir.
USNO-NOMAD-1e8.dat must have a file size bigger than 2GB (2,02GB or so -
2122186KB on my system).

if there is no such file, download it here
"http://download.kde.org/apps/kstars/USNO-NOMAD-1e8-1.0.tar.gz"
and store the downloaded file in "Your KDE4 base DIR\share\apps\kstars".

For downloading large files it's best to use a downloadmanager (i'm
using the Firefox Add-On 'DownThemAll').

Decompress it (eg, with 7Zip). At Last you should get ->
"USNO-NOMAD-1e8.dat". You need >4GB free disk space for doing this.

Start KStars, go to KStars settings and set
"star-catalogs->star-density" to a level you prefer and have fun. :)

After unzipping is done you could securely remove
"NOMAD-1e8-1.0.tar.gz", "NOMAD-1e8-1.0.tar" and all "kstars-xxx.tar"
temp files and free lot's of disk space.

AND: Before this, you have to install "Tycho-2" data, without this, USNO
will not showing up.
If installation of Tycho-2 fails, got to the directories mentioned above
and search for a file called "deepstars.dat" (75390KB on my system).
Copy it into the KStars directory.
After that, USNO should work.

For the developers:
If some file is missing, the others are failing to. Maybe we should
change this?
102     int StarComponent::loadDeepStarCatalogs() {
103
104     // Look for the basic unnamed star catalog to mag 8.0
105     if( !addDeepStarCatalogIfExists( "unnamedstars.dat", -5.0, true ) )
106     return 0;
107
108     // Look for the Tycho-2 add-on with 2.5 million stars to mag 12.5
109     if( !addDeepStarCatalogIfExists( "tycho2.dat" , 8.0 ) &&
!addDeepStarCatalogIfExists( "deepstars.dat", 8.0 ) )
110     return 1;
111
112     // Look for the USNO NOMAD 1e8 star catalog add-on with stars to
mag 16
113     if( !addDeepStarCatalogIfExists( "USNO-NOMAD-1e8.dat", 11.0 ) )
114     return 2;
115
116     return 3;
117     }

hth

btw: you should update the comets.dat and asteroids.dat from
http://mpcreader.sourceforge.net/ to get updated orbital data.

>  USNO NOMAD catalog (part)."  Clearing that pop-up and pressing that
>  "Install" button again results in the whole process starting over.
>  Any suggestions**?

mostly harmless
jeamy