[Kstars-devel] Re : Re : Hi, newbie feedback and questions

Fabien pogzy at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 21 16:13:58 CEST 2009

Well, I've tried this on two places, at my work on a spare PC (with proxy settings) and at my home (direct access through ADSL)

At work it doesn't work at all, no way to configure the proxy, I've tried any possible way through the installer, and I won't download by hand each package to make this thing work.

At home, the installer connects, download about 100MB! (I've just checked kdeedu, no kstars alone available), Install freezed before the end (I don't know why). There is a KDE folder in my Program Files with 260MB in there which nothing working (I've tried severall .exe such as kstars).
So perhaps it is working on some other config but not mine, I do not want to give some time to make this huge thing working on XP and I think (I am probably wrong but it is my point of view as a user) that KDE is fine for Linux but it is not simple to make it works under XP. I find easier to run kstars on an XP computer using VirtualBox and Ubuntu than using kde-win-installer.

But apart from that, I am using KStars because it is fast, small, versatile and easy to use.

Regards
Fabien