[Kstars-devel] Re : Hi, newbie feedback and questions

Fabien pogzy at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 18 16:11:08 CEST 2009

Hi,

Thank you for subscribing me to this list.

For the small screen size, I think there is no other way than rearranging the way the settings screens are displayed. Perhaps by using more tabs or similar system on screen, less option per panel taht enables to keep smaller windows.

I am also using Stellarium and I see there was like a cooperation. I used both softwares, just say why if it could help :

I like Stellarium because it is realistic and beautifull & fullscreen, and runs on severall platforms (I used a desktop windows and a linux eeePC).
I don't like Stellarium because it is slow (on an eeepc with a basic graphic card, openGL?), there is not so much data, I'd like more photos  (RealSky DSS via network or a local database or disk cache), sometimes my OpenGl layer on linux is buggy (too much hurry updates on repo) and openGl fails, whereas KStars still works.
I like KStars beacause it is light, more configurable, there is a configurable finder that display. It works even if OpenGL is not working on the system.
I don't like KStars beacuse it runs on Linux only.
I used a lot Redshift but left it because of its GUI that changed way too much for me. I used Cartes du Ciel and like its features but dislikes its GUI.

It should be nice to have a preview window that displays a thumbnail/ small photo a the selected object. It will enables the user to keep a complete view and limit the need to zoom. This preview should have a scale and should have some settings (size, position, transparency etc.)

It should be fine to distinguish between two usage, the first is casual for Desktop, and another one which is on the field with a scope. Because most of the settings are very differents, perhaps be able to recall a complete configuration from a list should do or choose it on startup in a list of available ones.

I would also appreciate a way to input my scope diameter size, and KStars to keep away any object that is outside the theorical optical limit of my telescope. I'll then desactivate this option for desktop use.

Regards
Fabien