[Kstars-devel] Hi, newbie feedback and questions

Fabien pogzy at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 15 11:11:53 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I am an astro amateur who is observing using a telescope (a 150mm diameter
Newton) and I used KStars running on an eeepc 701 which is a notebook with à 7 inch (800x480 pixels)
screen and a Celeron at 600MHz.

I like KStars because it is free, accurate and runs smoothly on my netbook
(compared to other sky chart softwares that are quite slow).

There are some functionalities that missed me or that I don't know how to
activate:
- I didn't find a way to hide the tools panel, when I uncheck them in the menu,
they are hided but when I restart KStarts, they came back.
- A lot of configuration windows are quite too big for my screen, I can move
them using Alt key, but it is very boring not to see the entire window on my
screen, doing fine windows manipulation in the dark is not very easy.
- I did not find a way to show Messier or NGC objects names on the screen, ok
the object are plotted but not their name. I'd liked to show any object until a
certain magnitude, then show all these object and there names on the map. The
goal is to see an unknown object not too far of my scope current pos, and to
try to observe it.
- it  could be fine if there was some colours schemes that use the current
colours but less luminous, because netbooks screen luminosity can be lowered to
a certain point but not less, and it still too much for a scope observer, and
the reddish style is clearly not useable.

Regards
Fabien