[Kstars-devel] KDE/kdeedu/kstars/kstars

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Sat Sep 5 23:09:41 CEST 2009

Am Samstag 05 September 2009 22:42:03 schrieb Khudyakov Alexey:
> В сообщении от Воскресенье 06 сентября 2009 00:03:21 автор Burkhard Lück
>
> написал:
> > That kstars is buggy i18n wise, see attached screenshot taken with
> > language x- test.
> >
> > Every string without surrounding "xx" is untranslatable, e. g.
> > "Wurzburg, Deutschland", this has to be  "xxWurzburgxx, xxDeutschlandxx"
> > or
> > "xx100 Mile Housexx, xxBritish Columbiaxx, Kanada", here "Kanada" has to
> > be "xxKanadaxx"
>
> All entries are wrapped in the i18nc calls. If contexts are correct...
>
> But "Kanada" and "Russland" are in german.

Sigh...
Of course they are, I have a lot of languages installed here. But in this case
(kstars running in locale x-test) these strings are just accidently
translated.

The translation system (gettext) queries these catalogs in this order:
kdelibs/kdecore/localization/klocale.cpp:
    // do not use insertCatalog here, that would already trigger
updateCatalogs
    catalogNames.append( mainCatalog );   // application catalog

    // catalogs from which each application can draw translations
    numberOfSysCatalogs = 4;
    catalogNames.append("kdeqt");
    catalogNames.append("kdelibs4");
    catalogNames.append("kio4");
    catalogNames.append("libphonon");

No hit in the application catalog (kstars) in the running locale x-test,
therefore no "xx" around "Kanada" and "Russland".
Then getext asks all installed translation catalog in the order defined in the
systemsettings; and accidently "Kanada" and "Russland" are just the first hits.

> Maybe "xx" marks untranslated
> strings?

Please, please read
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Localization/Building_KDE's_l10n_Module

Every string without surrounding "xx" displayed by an application started in
locale x-test is untranslatable.

--
Burkhard Lück
KDE-Translation team "KDE i18n-doc"