[Kstars-devel] deep sky objects without magnitude from Messier or NGC are missing

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 17:21:49 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 03:38:21PM +0100, Lukas Middendorf wrote:
> Am Tuesday 03 November 2009 schrieb Akarsh Simha:
> > > there are quite some deep-sky objects from NGC (like NGC 6914) or even
> > > the Messier catalog (like M 29) that don't seem to have a magnitude. Do I
> > > have an outdated catalog (it should be from trunk or newly downloaded
> > > with "Get Hot New Stuff")?
> > >
> > > Since r1031008 these objects are hidden. I have attached a patch that
> > > makes all objects without specified magnitude visible again.
> >
> > M29 appeared fine when I last checked on my laptop. IIRC, I put in a
> > new NGC/IC catalog that had well-defined magnitudes for all Messier /
> > NGC objects by merging our catalog with SAC. That was before KDE 4.3
> > was released. I'll re-check anyway.
>
> It was caused by the Steinicke NGC/IC Catalog from "Get Hot New Stuff". When I
> delete it from ~/.kde/share/apps/kstars, M29 has a magnitude again (NGC 6914
> still does not).
> The Uninstall button in "Get Hot New Stuff" does not work.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll try to look into this during the
weekend. I think the best solution would be to fill in the Steinicke
Catalog's missing data with data from SAC. I'll check out the
licensing terms of Steinicke (I think it's simply "free for
non-commercial use", which is permissive enough) and try to do this.

> btw: Shouldn't  the "Updated Daylight Savings Time rules" be removed (or
> hidden by some obsoletion mechanism)? It's the same that comes with main
> KStars already.

Oh, okay. I'm not clear on this since that was way before I joined
in. Maybe we could obsolete it, as you point out.