[Kstars-devel] deep sky objects without magnitude from Messier or NGC are missing

Lukas Middendorf lukas.middendorf at freenet.de
Tue Nov 3 15:38:21 CET 2009

Am Tuesday 03 November 2009 schrieb Akarsh Simha:
> > there are quite some deep-sky objects from NGC (like NGC 6914) or even
> > the Messier catalog (like M 29) that don't seem to have a magnitude. Do I
> > have an outdated catalog (it should be from trunk or newly downloaded
> > with "Get Hot New Stuff")?
> >
> > Since r1031008 these objects are hidden. I have attached a patch that
> > makes all objects without specified magnitude visible again.
>
> M29 appeared fine when I last checked on my laptop. IIRC, I put in a
> new NGC/IC catalog that had well-defined magnitudes for all Messier /
> NGC objects by merging our catalog with SAC. That was before KDE 4.3
> was released. I'll re-check anyway.

It was caused by the Steinicke NGC/IC Catalog from "Get Hot New Stuff". When I
delete it from ~/.kde/share/apps/kstars, M29 has a magnitude again (NGC 6914
still does not).
The Uninstall button in "Get Hot New Stuff" does not work.

btw: Shouldn't  the "Updated Daylight Savings Time rules" be removed (or
hidden by some obsoletion mechanism)? It's the same that comes with main
KStars already.

Regards,
Lukas