[Kstars-devel] Re : Satellites in KStars

Bernard GODARD bernard.godard at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 15:48:14 CET 2009

Hi Akarsh,

The SGP4 C library used by KStars to handle TLEs was developed by
Jean-Baptiste BUTET , Patrick Chevalley and Vincent Suck based on
NORAD Spacecraft Report #3 (a very old document that you can find on
the web).
The SGP4 routine returns position, velocity of thew spacecraft in the
TEME (True Equator Mean Equinox) frame of epoch (if I remember
correctly). The library also converts to azimuth/elevation in the
topocentric frame of the observer. I think the library has been
successfully checked standalone against other libraries and against
data from Heavens Above.

However, there were problems in Kstars. Among them :
- longitude sign convention in the interface of the routines
- graphical problems :  ticks on the orbit pass being drawn ... far
from the orbit path

You should read all the previous e-mail in the archive containing the
words satellites, SGP, SGP4, TLE, NORAD, heavens above...

In the long term, the C library has to be replaced by the new SGP4
algorithm that you can find here :
http://www.centerforspace.com/downloads/files/pubs/AIAA-2006-6753.pdf
I wanted to do this but I really don't have time at the moment.

You can also find the C++ code for the new algorithm on Vallado's website :
http://celestrak.com/software/vallado-sw.asp

If you need more info about TLEs, have a look at Kelso's website :
http://celestrak.com/

I 'm afraid I can't help more at the moment because I'm lacking the time.

Good luck and clear skies,

         Bernard