[Kstars-devel] Some Doubts : Please Help

Jain Basil Aliyas jainbasil at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 3 17:47:12 CET 2009

Hello All,

I am working on a BUGFIX : *115928*, I would like to have some
clarifications regarding the same.

*Some users set their hardware clock to UT, and do not configure their
systems to convert to local time.
If possible, KStars should detect this and set the local time correctly in
this case.
*
*Some users set their hardware clock to UT* : This seems to be okay since
Gnu/Linux allows us to keep our hardware clock to UTC. Also this can be
tracked by checking the file */etc/adjtime* in which it will be written UTC
or LOCAL.As far as I understood, *hwclock  *can be used to check this.see
manual page of *hwclock*

*do not configure their systems to convert to local time* : This gives me
some confusions. As we install our Gnu/Linux system, we need to select a
time Zone and installation cannot continue without that.So Kernel
automatically converts the time to local time (if hardware clock uses UTC or
else it will not), based on this and we will be getting the Local time
automatically. i.e. we may test this argument using hwclock command.

hwclock will display only local time. Suppose a hardware clock is set to
local time. then if we run hwclock, it will show the local time. now we add
an option --utc to it. this will interpret hwclock set to utc and now the
result shows a conversion. Hence, I think there is no argument such that
user donot configure their systems to convert to local time.

Can anyone please clarify this thing for me?

Regards,
Jain Basil Aliyas
--
http://jainbasil.wordpress.com