[Kstars-devel] Drawing comet tail patch

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 15:26:48 CEST 2009

Hi,

> But two things could be done :
> -> draw the second tail -> it's tangent to sun/comet direciton.and
> most often twice lesser than trajectory one.

In most cases, the second tail is hardly visible, if I amn't wrong. I
don't know whether it would be worth the complication. But that's
okay, it's worth a try :)

> -> make comet magnitude change with sun distance. (don't bother with
> Terre/commet distance)

We already have the code to compute comet magnitude for any distance
from the sun.

That might be a good thing to include in the representation - the
brightness factor.

> May be there are magnitude information in commets DB but I don't think so.

Yes - there's no information in the default comets DB. I download
Jeamy's comets.dat which he hosts on mpcreader.sourceforge.net - and
those files have comet magnitude (H and G parameters) information.