[Kstars-devel] Drawing comet tail patch

Jean-Baptiste BUTET ashashiwa at wanadoo.fr
Fri Apr 17 18:51:54 CEST 2009

Hi all :)

2009/4/17 Akarsh Simha <akarshsimha at gmail.com>:
> Yes. I guess we could keep the tail tangent to the trajectory. The
> curvature of the ellipse should hardly matter, given the size of the
> tail. Besides, I'm pretty sure these things are empirical as well.

Yes. It's a bit empirical.

But two things could be done :
-> draw the second tail -> it's tangent to sun/comet direciton.and
most often twice lesser than trajectory one.

-> make comet magnitude change with sun distance. (don't bother with
Terre/commet distance)

As is, the comet will show a shape almost the same as in reality ...

May be there are magnitude information in commets DB but I don't think so.

Good luck :)

JB