[Kstars-devel] 1e8 stars in KStars

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 17:56:25 CEST 2008

Hi

I managed to create the 1e8 star catalog binary file today, with the
new utilities I commited today. It took really shorter than expected
to create the binary. After some bugfixes to the code, KStars seems to
be displaying stars to ~ 16.5 magnitude without any trouble.

The compressed binary data is about 1.2 GB in size, and I will try to
put it up on GHNS tomorrow. I expected it to be much smaller than 1.2
GB. Any suggestions on better compression etc.? Would it be a good
idea to split the catalog by latitude, or to split it into smaller
magnitude ranges?

KStars slows down to a good extent with a reasonable star density at
large zoom levels into the Sagittarius star cloud! Probably it is
worth optimizing the draw loop and I'll try to work on that as well
this week.

Here's a screenshot to keep everyone on their toes. This one is from
the core of the Milky Way in Sagittarius with a Star Density of about
40% on the slider. :)

[Very excited to see so many stars]