[Kstars-devel] More star catalog issues

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Fri May 30 05:47:45 CEST 2008

Hi Andrew,

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Andrew Buck <andrew.buck at ndsu.edu> wrote:
> Moderators:  You can either delete the message with the data or pass it
> on if you would like the data archived in the list.

Sorry I didn't get to it sooner; I just discarded it since you reposted.

> I managed to get IRAF to do roughly what I wanted.  I wasn't able to do
> any calculations with the RA and DEC because I don't understand the
> format KStars is using (I think it might be "hhmmss" and "ddmmss" all
> lumped together to form what looks like a 6 digit integer, is this
> correct?).

Yes, that's the right format.

> If you can do a batch request and get me some raw data (flat text files,
> column separated is best but I can try to work with whatever) I would be
> happy to see what I can do.  The IRAF table tools are very powerful.

Ok, I'll see what I can do...

> The Wikipedia data was not as complete as I expected, only having about
> 1600 NGC objects listed on the pages I grabbed the stuff from.  The list
> that follows is the one explained above.  It is effectively the
> intersection of the KStars catalog with the Wikipedia catalog.

We'll have to do some investigation to make sure that the wikipedia
mags are more accurate than the kstars mags when they disagree.  We
don't need to do this for all objects, just pick a handful from the
top and bottom of the list (with the biggest delta-mag values) and
look them up with SIMBAD.

> Again, let me know if there is anything further you would like to see
> done, I enjoy the challenge.  :)

Does wikipedia have the IC catalog as well?

thanks a lot!