[Kstars-devel] Predicting conjunctions

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Tue Mar 11 22:14:56 CET 2008

It didn't work for Saturn and Pluto because Pluto has a very inclined
orbit, meaning it is usually far from the ecliptic.  Most other
planets are always near the ecliptic (but not the Moon).

I think you had the right approach, but it was only the first step:
you need to identify times when the two planets have the same
heliocentric longitude, and then check to see whether they have the
same latitude as well.

One question: what angular separation would you use to define a
"conjunction"?  Is there a standard definition for this?

The positions of the planets are computed using a sinusoidal expansion
series with hundreds of terms.  It should be possible to use only the
first ten or 20 terms in these series to get a quick estimate of where
a planet will be at a given time, then when you find a close
separation, you can go to the full solution to get the final answer.

regards,
Jason