[Kstars-devel] [soc] Bigger star catalogs

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Sun Jun 29 15:08:04 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 11:01 PM, James Bowlin <bowlin at mindspring.com> wrote:
> If we get no joy from USNO-B1 then what is our fallback position?  Can
> we use the 48e6 stars from UCAC2 even though it is mostly for the
> Southern Hemisphere?

We could, but I am reluctant to have non-uniform sky coverage depth.
Still, it's definitely an option, and UCAC3 should be out later this
year (with full sky coverage to the same limit, so about 60 million
stars).
BTW, I wouldn't say UCAC2 is mostly for the southern-hemisphere; it's
everything below Dec=+40 degrees, which is 85% of the sky.

Another fallback position would be to use the Guide Star Catalog, but
it doesn't include proper motions or parallaxes.