[Kstars-devel] [soc] Bigger star catalogs

James Bowlin bowlin at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 29 08:01:44 CEST 2008

On Sat June 28 2008, Jason Harris wrote:
> I have emailed USNO to see about getting a copy of the brightest 1%
> (1e7 stars) and 10% (1e8 stars) of their USNO-B1 catalog.

This would be a home run!  I'd also love to be able to handle their
entire 1e9 catalog but I'm willing to wait on that because it would
be a heck of a lot of work just humping the data around.  100e6 should
be enough for anybody. :-)

If we get no joy from USNO-B1 then what is our fallback position?  Can
we use the 48e6 stars from UCAC2 even though it is mostly for the
Southern Hemisphere?

--
Peace, James