[Kstars-devel] TODO for 4.2

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 04:20:46 CEST 2008

Hi

> > Would the star hops be entered in manually or would you want KStars
> > to figure out the star hops to a given object?

I'd want KStars to figure it out.

> As I'm imagining it, KStars would figure out a series of hops to get
> from a bright star to a given object.  You would tell the tool about
> your instrument's field of view, then it would show the hops overlayed
> on the map.  At any of the hop nodes, you could click to see your
> instrument's field of view.
>
> Actually, when I star-hop, I am looking for distinctive patterns of
> stars along the route to my object, not just individual stars.
> Looking for such patterns might be pretty difficult to code, but it
> would be more useful...

Hmm... yes. This is a tough one, indeed!

Actually, I was thinking of something a bit more complicated. If the
object is bright, or large enough to easily detect, KStars could
simply check if there are two bright stars ,at the midpoint of a line
joining which the object would lie, with an error of FOV / 2. Then, it
could check for other familiar patterns, like completing an
equilateral triangle with two bright stars, or an isosceles right
angled triangle, again to some tolerance. Finally, we could check if
the object lies at the centroid of a triangle of stars. If all of
these are unsatisfactory, KStars should resort to a starhopping
solution - because starhopping is probably the slowest way and
requires the observer's patience to match the patterns. :)