[Kstars-devel] Binary star data loading accomplished in Branch!

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Mon Jun 2 19:20:50 CEST 2008

Hi Akarsh,

On Jun 2, 2008, at 3:45 AM, Akarsh Simha wrote:
> The bug is that stars close to the equator with -ve declinations are
> developing positive declinations and are off from their original
> positions by upto a degree. The differences seem to have no
> correlation whatsoever, but I'm yet to investigate on that.

This sounds to me like you're having a problem with stars that have
Decliantion between -1.0 and 0.0 degrees.  For these stars, the
Declination in dd mm ss form would be expressed like this:

-00 15 45

But if you're not careful with the parsing, this will get translated
to +0.2625 degrees,
instead of -0.2625.  The reason is, if you do int("-00"), that gets
turned into 0, which is not negative.  The solution is to keep the
negative sign separate from the ddmmss string and add it after you've
converted to a decimal value.

regards,