[Kstars-devel] Binary File Data and Associated Tools

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Sun Jun 1 01:59:47 CEST 2008

Hi Akarsh,

I grabbed the tarball and tested things out with binfiletester.  I got
an error message in trixel 1:
-------------------------------------
./binfiletester namedstars.bin 1 names.bin KStars Star Data v1.0. To
be read using the 32-bit starData structure only.
Data Field:
  Name: RA
  Size: 4
  Type: 5
  Scale: 1000000

Data Field:
  Name: Dec
  Size: 4
  Type: 5
  Scale: 100000

Data Field:
  Name: dRA
  Size: 4
  Type: 5
  Scale: 10

Data Field:
  Name: dDec
  Size: 4
  Type: 5
  Scale: 10

Data Field:
  Name: parallax
  Size: 4
  Type: 5
  Scale: 10

Data Field:
  Name: HD
  Size: 4
  Type: 5
  Scale: 10

Data Field:
  Name: mag
  Size: 2
  Type: 3
  Scale: 100

Data Field:
  Name: bv_index
  Size: 2
  Type: 3
  Scale: 100

Data Field:
  Name: spec_type
  Size: 2
  Type: 7
  Scale: 0

Data Field:
  Name: flags
  Size: 1
  Type: 0
  Scale: 0

Data Field:
  Name: unused
  Size: 2
  Type: 0
  Scale: 100
Performing Index Validity Check...
Assuming that index starts at 130
Index verified. PASSED.
Names = Yes
ERROR: Something fishy in the index. I guessed that 1 would be here,
but instead I find KStars
Sò÷~«ÿÿáùÿÿèrÚÿ▒s&Úÿp2æ÷ôò÷0sÚÿ(sÚp0sÚÿsÚÿ<¨á÷ ÷÷sÚÿ<¨á÷. Aborting.
-------------------------------------

Are you aware of this problem?  I got the same result for any trixel
less than 94.  What is the range of valid trixel values?  I thought it
would be 0-511?

For trixels 94 and above, I am seeing valid results, but the name data
is confusing.  The "Has a name?" test always seems to return "Yes"
(not surprising, since I run it on namedstars.bin), but the Bayer
Designation and Long Name fields are usually blank (in fact, I haven't
yet seen a non-blank Long Name).  The Bayer Designations sometimes
seem to have a problem as well, as in the following cases:

trixel 94, entry #3 has Bayer Designation "b"
trixel 94, entry #3 has Bayer Designation "Oph"

...and others.

regards,
Jason