[Kstars-devel] Problems with the Options UI

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Mon Jul 21 03:52:35 CEST 2008

Hi,

The KDE HIG says dialogs should be no larger than 800x600 pixels.  Our
config dialog is 632x602 pixels (on my os x laptop), so we're only
exceeding the HIG recommendation by 2 pixels...maybe it's bigger on
Torsten's machine for some reason (larger fonts?).

Anyway, I'm definitely willing to accept a redesign of the config window.

One idea:

We could use clickable image maps in many of the Tabs instead of lists
of checkboxes.  For example, in the Guides tab, we could show a mock
skymap that shows all of the types of guide lines.  You would toggle
the different guide lines by clicking on them, and there would be
visual feedback to make clear which lines were on or off.  A similar
clickmap could be used in the solar system tab.

Anyway, maybe we don't need such a radical change...we can just do a
reorganization of course.

regards,
Jason