[Kstars-devel] Compressing the binary data

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 23:46:55 CEST 2008

Hi

I thought that we should be compressing the binary data and
distributing it, and extracting it during install time. With bzip2, I
was able to achieve nearly 50% compression on the deepstars.dat file.

I think it would be nice, if we had only a 31 MB deepstars.dat.bz2
that would extract itself into .../kde/share/apps/kstars/deepstars.dat

Unfortunately, I don't know how to tell CMake to do that. It would
help me greatly if someone could patch CMakeLists.txt to do this.

Maybe this will have to change again, if we are going to move stars
with magnitude > 8.0 to the Get Hot New Stuff tool.