[Kstars-devel] USNO is sending me 100 million stars

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 00:29:27 CEST 2008

> Any chance of supporting USNO A 2.0 binary format?
>
> It have quite simple format 6byte record per star, is also indexed.
> There are some C libraries for reading it. Many amateurs already have
> downloaded it since CdC and other programs can read it.

Could you link me to it's specification? I wonder how they manage with
6 bytes per star.

It might be easy to write a program to convert this format into
KStars' format. We should probably stick to KStars' present format at
the end, because the KStars format is designed keeping speed in mind,
so that all fields lie on appropriate byte boundaries.