[Kstars-devel] USNO NOMAD Catalog

Roland Latour rolandl at cavenet.com
Fri Dec 26 22:55:33 CET 2008

Please help me correct an installation problem with this catalog. I installed
kstars under Kubuntu 8.10 with 'sudo apt-get install kstars' and started it.
The first interactive window I see is a Startup Wizard. It prompts me
to "Download Extra Data". I clicked on the first catalog I see and suddenly
I find I'm stuck (without warning) with a 6-hour download! I cancelled the
download, hoping to restart it later that night and let it run overnight. But
I find I can't restart it. The program says it's installed, and I don't get
any second chance.

So I tried to remove it and make a fresh start:
   sudo apt-get remove kstars
   sudo apt-get autoclean
   sudo rm -rf /usr/share/apps/kstars
   rm -rf $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kstars

Then I reinstall, expecting see the startup wizard giving me a clean slate and
a chance to avoid the surprise of a 1.6GB download, but it still shows that
first catalog is already downloaded!

I checked bugs.kde.org and found #114447. But that site won't let me in for
reasons I don't understand. That bug says: "...workaround: deleting/changing
its config file" but doesn't tell me what config file that is. Can you please
enlighten me on its location(s), so I can clean up the mess your program
made? Thanks.

And please consider 1)warning users before such large downloads 2)giving users
a chance to exit such downloads and try again later 3)breaking up such large
downloads 4)documenting how to clean up such problems. Thanks.