[Kstars-devel] Restructured code to load 100e8 stars

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 11:18:45 CEST 2008

Hi

I restructured the StarComponent and DeepStarComponent classes after
taking into consideration James' suggestions and some changes that I
had in mind.

Now, named stars are handled by StarComponent and unnamed stars (both
dynamically loaded and statically loaded) are taken care of by
DeepStarComponents. As James' suggested, I found that letting
StarComponent take care of DeepStarComponents made code much more
neat.

Here's the patch:
http://members.bas.org.in/kstar/kstars-deep-star-catalog-support.patch

With the patch, what StarComponent::draw() does is to first draw named
stars and then call DeepStarComponent::draw() for each
DeepStarComponent that is loaded.

I think I have broken the feature of searching by HD Index
temporarily. Also, the patch seems to be buggy to me, because I
noticed some stars vanishing suddenly (which means that the LRU Cache
isn't working properly). However, ISTM that most of the code is
working fine. Let me know if I should go ahead and commit it.