[Kstars-devel] KSConjunct - Frontends!

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 16:07:50 CEST 2008

Hi Jason,

> Cool!  I hope it didn't distract from your studies too much.  I'll
> definitely commit this in time for the 4.1 deadline.  Looking at the
> GUI, I'm getting excited about the possibilities with this tool (show
> the highlighted conjunction in KStars, export events to a calendar,
> etc.)

Wasn't much of a distraction. I added this as a Feature 'In Progress'
on the KDE 4.1 Feature Plan, which is going to be soft-frozen today.

> One question: Are you using (or planning to use) the geographic
> location in computing the conjunctions?  I don't understand where it
> would be used.

KSConjunct currently uses the location from
KStarsData::Instance()->geo() for predicting conjunctions. We may want
to expose that to the user, so I left that in the UI, although it
currently does nothing.

> I had an idea to improve the UI a bit (see attached); what do you think?

I saw the improved UI. It looks great! I think it is best integrated
into the Calculator tool, as you did in the commit.

There are a lot of TODOs and Bugfixes now, as you mentioned in the
commit mail. I'd like to add a few to those:

1. The user should not be able to choose the same object in both combo
boxes. It doesn't make sense to view conjunctions between Mercury and
Mercury.

2. The List Widget is not cleared every time 'Compute' is hit,
although I thought I wrote working code for that.

3. There might be localization issues with the output shown in the
list.

4. While it seemed to work properly with my local copy before the
commit, the version from the repository seems to miss the first
conjunction while putting stuff into the list. I hope to look into
this sometime soon - it could be a problem purely with my build.

Regards
Akarsh.

[Yay! My first new feature!]