[Kstars-devel] Conjunctions tool backends, a few bugfixes

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 10:30:22 CEST 2008

Hi Jason,

> It seems to me that the only function that will need to be called from
> outside the class is findClosestApproach().  If that's correct, then
> the other functions should be made private.

Yes, that's true. But haven't I made the rest of the functions private?

> Also, since nothing is instantiated when creating a KSConjunct object,
> we don't really need to have one.  In other words, I suggest making
> findClosestApproach() a static function, so that it can be called
> externally without having to instantiate a KSConjunct object.  It's
> also good form to make the constructor private if all public functions
> are static, so that it isn't possible to create a KSConjunct object.
> Have a look at ksutils.[h|cpp] for an example of a class like this.

Hmm... Yes. I think I'll do that sometime soon and send in a patch for
that. Yes, there is no need for KSConjunct to be instantiated.

> Finally, a feature request: it might be nice to eventually allow for
> conjunctions between planetary bodies and any SkyObject.  For example,
> the Moon sometimes passes in front of bright stars.

Yes, I think we should consider that. I wanted something much more
complex as well - where I can ask for conjunctions between a comet and
'any DSO' - and it would output all rendezvous of the comet with
various bright DSOs.

Regards
Akarsh.