[Kstars-devel] Conjunctions tool backends, a few bugfixes

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Sat Apr 19 01:44:01 CEST 2008

Hi Akarsh,

Some comments on KSConjunct:

It seems to me that the only function that will need to be called from
outside the class is findClosestApproach().  If that's correct, then
the other functions should be made private.

Also, since nothing is instantiated when creating a KSConjunct object,
we don't really need to have one.  In other words, I suggest making
findClosestApproach() a static function, so that it can be called
externally without having to instantiate a KSConjunct object.  It's
also good form to make the constructor private if all public functions
are static, so that it isn't possible to create a KSConjunct object.
Have a look at ksutils.[h|cpp] for an example of a class like this.

Finally, a feature request: it might be nice to eventually allow for
conjunctions between planetary bodies and any SkyObject.  For example,
the Moon sometimes passes in front of bright stars.

Other than those comments, it's looking good.  Thanks again for
contributing!

regards,
Jason