[Kstars-devel] Quite a few bugs

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Sun May 27 19:40:50 CEST 2007

(INLINED)

On 5/27/07, Jason Harris <kstars at 30doradus.org> wrote:
> Hi Akarsh and kstars devs,
>
> Akarsh contacted me a couple of weeks ago; he's interested in helping
> to develop KStars.  I suggested that he get started by setting up his
> KDE4 environment (which he's done), and looking for bugs in the
> program.  So, please welcome Akarsh to the team!

Thank you for introducing me, Jason. And thanks for the warm welcome.

> I know we ususally tell people to file reports at bugs.kde.org when
> they find a problem, but there are so many problems right now, maybe
> it's more productive to just present them on the list for now.
> Although, there is a risk that a bug may fall through the cracks this
> way.

I think it may be nice to post the subtler bugs on the bug list,
though, so that we don't miss them before the release.

> On 5/26/07, Akarsh Simha <akarshsimha at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1. The highlighted constellation boundaries do not coincide with the
> > actual boundaries when zoomed in.
> Good catch, I can confirm this.  It might be a precession problem.
> Also, there's a problem for constellations which contain the line RA=0
> (such as Andromeda).  The highlight doesn't always get drawn when it
> should in these constellations.  This is probably because points with
> RA=23.xxx aren't considered enclosed by the constellation, when they
> should be.
>
> > 2. Io and Europa are not displaying correctly
> Do you mean the dot is not being drawn?  I see that too.  It looks
> like drawing of the dot is suppressed when the moon is further away
> than Jupiter.  It's supposed to be the case that the more-distant
> moons are drawn before Jupiter.

I don't see how that can cause a problem. Yes, I mean that the dot is
not being drawn.

> > 3. Constellation names in the object identification that pops up when
> > you right click on the object shows the constellations' three letter
> > abbreviations instead of the name.
> This should be an easy fix; want to give it a try Akarsh?

Yes, I think I can start working on this. Though I'd require a couple
of things cleared before that.

> > 4. I opened the Object Details dialog and clicked on the image to do
> > an image search. After I closed the image search dialog, I got a
> > segmentation fault. I have saved the Backtrace that KDE generated.
> I can confirm the crash.  When I tried an image search (on M 19), it
> didn't load any images in the list.

And one more thing I notice is that the google search is not very
effective and gives random results too. For instance, I did this with
M 101 and it gave me a lot of irrelevant NGC objects!

> > 5. It seems like there is no display symbol for asteroids. I feel that
> > the symbol for comets need to be something more meaningful.
> The asteroids are supposed to be drawn with a grey point, just like
> comets are drawn with a blue point.  I don't know why asteroids aren't
> being drawn.  This might be another one that would be useful for you
> to look at Akarsh, because you can use the comet drawing code as a
> template.

I'll try this one, too. Thanks for your encouragement.

> I'd like to improve the way comets and asteroids are drawn, but I'm
> not sure what to do.  The display of objects is supposed to be
> somewhat realistic, especially with respect to the objects' angular
> size.  The truth is, most comets and asteroids aren't resolved, so I
> just draw them as points.  I would like to include comet tails, but I
> don't have a way to predict which comets are likely to have tails, or
> how long the tails should be.

I think we should be able to research a little bit on this. Anyway, we
have the comet orbit elements. Other planetarium software like
skychart do this. I guess we could talk to some experts in this field
and find out.

Regards,
     Akarsh
http://www.bas.org.in