[Kstars-devel] KStars context menu

Jason Harris jharris at 30doradus.org
Sat Jun 9 16:59:33 CEST 2007

Hi Jasem,

On Saturday 09 June 2007 00:36, Jasem Mutlaq wrote:
> I like the idea, and I think it is very elegant.
> However, I still do think that most people expect to
> make use of the right-mouse for context-sensitive menu
> or some 'action'. This is part of the common GUI
> paradigm that most users are used to. So what would
> users see if they right-click on an object now?

The right-click actionwould be available of any purpose
we want to use it for.  I agree that there is a user expectation for
right-clicks to open a popup menu, but not all apps use them this way.  Our
sister app kalzium does not have a context menu, and neither does kmplot.  We
could have a very small context menu with actions like center, add label,
details.  But I'm going to advocate for removing it altogether.

> Regarding implementation details, I'm assuming you're
> only trying to replace the menu, and not the venerable
> details dialog.

Yes, in fact one of the radial buttons ("D") will open the Details window.

> So the icons in the radial menu will
> be:
>
> 1. Data
> 2. Images
> 3. Info
> 4. Details Dialog?

No, not quite.  Sorry my explanation was unclear!  The three buttons are:
(C)enter this object; (D)etails window; and (A)dd object to Observing List.
The three words off to the right are separate clickable elements.  They are
meant to be similar to Tab headings.  If you click on any of them, then text
is displayed in the area below them, to the right of the object.  Clicking on
"Data >" shows vital information about the object (as we currently display in
the top section of the context menu).  Clicking on "Images >" or "Info >"
shows lists of image or webpage links that are themselves clickable, to open
the browser at the desired URL.

> There are a few other implementation specific details,
> but they can wait. Do we have time to to include this
> in KDE4?

I doubt it; not for KDE 4.0 anyway (unless someone else wants to give it a
try).  The feature freeze is July 25th.  In fact, we should start a new
thread soon on what we want/need to get done by then.

regards,
Jason

KStars: http://edu.kde.org/kstars
Community Forums: http://kstars.30doradus.org