[Kstars-devel] Another ephemerides update

Jason Harris jharris at 30doradus.org
Mon Jan 15 16:33:34 CET 2007

Hello,

If you've downloaded the 2007.01 update of the ephemerides, you may notice an
enormous cloud of comets in the vicinity of Canis Major.  This is an
artifact, caused by the inclusion of SOHO and SOLARWIND comets in the JPL
database.  These comets are discovered by spacecraft monitoring the Sun, and
they actually fall into the Sun shortly after discovery.  I wish JPL would
prefix their name with "D/" instead of "C/" (which is supposed to denote a
comet which is lost).

Anyway, I have removed these comets from trunk, and have also updated the Get
New Stuff sources.  This time I correctly incremented the version number, so
all you have to do is grab the new file.  You also need to restart KStars to
get the comets removed from the display...I'll have to look into that,
because it shouldn't be necessary.

regards,

KStars: http://edu.kde.org/kstars
Community Forums: http://kstars.30doradus.org