[Kstars-devel] H400 image update

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Tue Feb 6 05:12:23 CET 2007

Sorry I'm a bit out of touch...I'm in the middle of a 4000 km drive to
move my wife to Tucson :)

Anyway, it's easy to make a HotNewStuff package; it's just a tarball
containing the data files you want to include.

Right now the code assumes the images are in PNG format.

If you want the images to appear in the skymap itself, you should name
them according to the object name (all lowercase, and remove spaces).
For example, "NGC 602" would have an image named "ngc602.png".

If you instead want the images to appear in the detail dialog, name them
the same, except prepend "thumb-" to the name (e.g., "thumb-ngc602.png").

Note that for images in the map, they should be scaled down to a small
dimension, and the background should be made transparent.  Early on in
this discussion, someone (was it Luciano?) had some good ideas about how
to automate the process of making smoothly blended transparent
backgrounds.  Maybe check the mailing list archives for that message.

Before submitting your tarball to be published for all KStars users, you
can test it by unpacking it into your $KDEHOME/share/apps/kstars
directory.  After doing that, you should see your images in the program.

Good luck!  Can't wait to see them.

regards,
Jason