[Kstars-devel] freeze date

Jason Harris jharris at 30doradus.org
Sat Aug 11 15:57:13 CEST 2007

Hi Akarsh,

On Friday 10 August 2007 11:37:19 pm Akarsh Simha wrote:
> James and I were discussing about the same and we realised that it is going
> to be pretty complicated for asteroids. I hope we can implement it for Deep
> Sky Objects within this version itself... can we?

We would first need to make sure all DSOs in ngcic.dat have a defined
magnitude (or at least decide what to do with those objects that don't have a
magnitude value).

> Plus.. I'm stuck up at some point and need help:
> As Jason knows, I fixed some bugs with regard to display of asteroids and
> magnitude limits. I added a clause to selectively popup context menus for
> asteroids only if their magnitude was smaller than the limiting magnitude.
> But I am still unable to remove the asteroids from the Find Dialog because
> the QLists are directly appended without any limiting magnitude criteria. I
> will have to modify this behaviour to implement a magnitude limit, but that
> will slow down the startup process. I would like suggestions on how this
> can be fixed without delaying the startup.

One idea would be to store the asteroids in a QVector of QLists, rather than a
single QList.  Each element of the vector would contain the list of objects
in a given magnitude range (e.g., we could simply take the int() of the
magnitude to determine the index of the QVector).  This allows you to
selectively add asteroids to the find dialog, but it only works for
full-magnitude steps.  You could do the same thing for 0.1 mag steps, of
course.

regards,