[Kstars-devel] Zooming in KStars?

James Bowlin bowlin at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 15 23:39:05 CEST 2006

On Friday 15 September 2006 07:38, Jason Harris wrote:
> I'm leaning toward option 2.  What do you think?

I like option (1) where the user drags from the upper left-hand
corner and encloses the area of interest.  I agree that in an absolute
sense this is inferior to the "start in the center" method, but
I am used to it now and is what I expect.  I tend to lasso in the
area of interest.

My zooming pet peeve is that I would like to see the mouse wheel zoom
in the opposite directions it currently works.  I've never gotten used
to it and at least one other app, Google Earth, uses the mouse wheel
to zoom in the opposite way that KStars does.  I'd also like to see
each click of the wheel to take a larger step.

I hadn't known about the Ctrl-drag zoom feature before this discussion.
There are two things I would like to see added to that feature but I
don't know if anyone else would like them or not.  I would like it to
be easily cancelable and easily reversible.  If the zoom box is smaller
than the magnifying glass icon, I would like the zoom to be canceled
instead of doing an extreme zoom-in.

Reversing is more problematic than canceling. Instead of describing how
to reverse the drag zoombox, I think it would be easier to suggest
that we add an optional zoom slider instead.

I think it would be neat to have an optional vertical slider that can be
on the inside edge of the left or right hand side of the skymap window.
The vertical position of the slider would reflect the absolute zoom level
and would also allow the user to set the zoom level.  One extreme would be
fully zoomed out and the other extreme would be fully zoomed in.  The
scale would probably need to be logarithmic.   The slider could be used
in addition to the Ctrl-drag zoombox.  If we have the slider then the
zoombox itself wouldn't need to be reversible.  The slider would also
make it less desirable to increase the mouse wheel zoom step size.

This is all just my two cents.  I think we should do whatever works
best for most people.

--
Peace, James