[Kstars-devel] Zooming in KStars?

Jason Harris jharris at 30doradus.org
Fri Sep 15 15:38:17 CEST 2006

Hi Jasem,

Yes, I agree actually.  My thinking at the time was that it would be
more convenient because the common use case would be "I want to zoom in
around Saturn, so I'll click near Saturn then drag until the size of the
window is what I want".  I think it works well for that, but you are
right that it is not what the user expects, and it's hard to get used to
even after doing it many times.

So, options:

1) as you suggest, do corner-to-corner dragging.  The problem with this
is, as you may have noticed with the current scheme, the drag rectangle
maintains the same aspect ratio as the full SkyMap.  So, while the first
corner will be placed where the user clicks, the other corner will not
necessarily be under the mouse (the mouse will be along one of the
edges).  This might be frustrating if the user can't put the center of
the rectangle near the region of interest and get the size they wanted
at the same time (that's why I did center-dragging actually).

2) Keep a center-start dragging scheme, but instead of a rectangle
representing the new view, just draw a circle whose diameter will be the
new width.  This way they still get to pick the center they want, with
the right size, but their expectations aren't jarred by a rectangle that
behaves in an unfamiliar way.

I'm leaning toward optin 2.  What do you think?

Jason