[Kstars-devel] Drawing Geodesic Domes on the Sky

James Bowlin bowlin at mindspring.com
Tue May 30 08:13:52 CEST 2006

I'm drawing HTM's in Kstars.  The segfaults when I asked for corner
coordinates only happened for levels less than 6.  It doesn't always
segfault at the lower levels and I am able to draw some of those triangles
but things certainly appear to be broken.  For example, the cluster of
triangles is not anywhere near the center of the clip region.  I want to go
back and carefully check the id strings for the triangles from the lower
level intersections.  This does remind of the problems I had when I tried
to use their built-in circleRegion() routine.  It seemed to be giving
me roughly the right number of indices but they were clearly out of wack.

The good news is that the graphics show that for levels 6 and above the
HTM code is working as advertised.  This, together with the timing results,
makes me feel like the HTM's can be useful to us.

The userLines show up when I save a sky image so I can send you png's
if anyone is interested.  The FOV symbols don't show up on the images.
I figure this is probably a feature and not a bug, but it was kind of
cool to use custom FOV's to show the outline of the shape that the
triangular mesh was trying to cover.  It is fun to be working on a
program that is already full of so many useful features.

I'm tiring out so I am going to have to move at a slower pace.  Maybe
let this rest for a few days.  When I come back, I'm going to try to
track down the problems with the courser meshes.

--
Peace, James