[Kstars-devel] FYI: large commit coming

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Tue Jun 20 08:44:58 CEST 2006

Hello,

As you know, kdelibs4_snapshot is updated every two weeks to provide
a semi-stable platform for application developers.  Last Monday was
supposed to be an "off" week, but people wanted to get the new DBus
system added, so kdelibs4_snapshot was updated with this code (as a
"bonus", there were significant KDialog changes in this update as well).

I spent a good portion of my weekend updating the KStars code to work
with the new snapshot.  It's finally compiling, but today was a
scheduled kdelibs4_snapshot update, so I may have more changes to
make to get it compiling with these new libs (I am compiling the new
libs right now).

The upshot is, very soon there's going to be a large commit to
KStars, and you'll need to update kdelibs4_snapshot to compile it.
It's actually more complicated than usual, because you have to
install DBus and QtDBus, and QtDBus depends on Qt-4.1.3, so you'll
probably have to update your qt-copy as well.

So, the steps are:

1) update and compile qt-copy
2) update kdelibs4_snapshot (but don't compile yet)
3) see kdelibs4_snapshot/PORTING-TO-DBUS.html for instructions on
installing DBus and QtDBus
4) install DBus
5) put 'export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:$QTDIR/lib'
into your .bashrc (assuming DBus installed to /usr/local)
6) put 'export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib' into
your .bashrc (same assumption about the path)
7) 'source ~/.bashrc'
8) install QtDBus
9) compile + install kdelibs4_snapshot
10) update and compile kstars

*whew*!  They don't call it the bleeding edge for nothing...

You can get started on steps 1-9 while waiting for my update, if you
want (but be aware that updating kdelibs will render the current
kstars code uncompilable).  Let me know if you have any problems.

I'm a little apprehensive about the fact that we are now chasing no
fewer than five unstable codebases (kdelibs, cmake, qt-copy, dbus,
and qtdbus)...hopefully, things will settle down soon.