[Kstars-devel] I'd like to help...

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Fri Jul 14 19:59:48 CEST 2006

Hi Chris!

Sorry I took so long to reply.  Welcome, we'd be really glad to have your
help.  I guess you've seen my news item about starting a Data Team here:
http://edu.kde.org/kstars/news.php#itemJointheKStarsDataTeam

The Data Team is active, but has not been very vocal, so you might not know
it.  We had someone who was working on adding more star names last year, but
we never got the finished product from him (I should ping him to see what the
status is).  Our deep-sky database could use some improvements as well (i.e.,
fill in missing sizes and magnitudes).  As Mike said, we've also had interest
in adding contour lines for some of the larger deep-sky objects.

On another front, there is a library for calculating earth-satellite tracks:
http://predictsatlib.sourceforge.net

We're interested in adding this capability to KStars.  This will require some
coding, but we also need to determine sources for the satellite orbital data,
which is just a web search (probably a NASA/JPL page somewhere).

These are just some things going on.  Do you have a particular idea or data
set that you are interested in?

thanks,
Jason