[Kstars-devel] questions re: gathering images

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Fri Dec 8 22:54:10 CET 2006

On Friday 08 December 2006 22:21, Glenn Becker wrote:
> > As I said in one of my other messages yesterday, I have converted the
> > current image gallery to use an alpha channel. The result seem good
> > enough, but I had to tweak the alpha channel differently for each object.
> >
> > Anyway, the source images were not ideal, (the darker values were clipped
> > , so there is a "step" in the transparency value, most images were low
> > resolution or grayscale only and so on) so if you have better source
> > images, it would pay off to use them.
>
> I don't have any Messier images, I was exclusively looking for images of
> the Herschel 400 objects. However, I would of course be happy to add the
> Messier objects to my search.
>
> In terms of the project as a whole and your work I don't know what would
> be best to do - I could sideline the Herschel objects and switch to a
> Messier search to put that gallery on the "front burner". I don't have
> a strong preference, though it has been fun searching out images of more
> obscure objects. :^)

Well, I think it would be nice, and not too much work, to complete the Messier
object catalog. Probably Wikipedia has suitable images for the missing
objects already.

By the way, the missing objects are:

M 7
M 18
M 21
M 23 - 26
M 29
M 34 - 41
M 43 - 44
M 46 - 48
M 52

Maybe we could put together an updated Messier catalog together with the
Herschel one in time for KDE 3.5.6? I don't know how far you are in
collecting the needed images, But also a partial set would be fun to look at
with KStars.

Ciao,
Luciano

--