[Kstars-devel] questions re: gathering images

Glenn Becker burningc at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Dec 6 03:46:22 CET 2006

>> I am keeping track of permissions, etc in an OpenOffice Calc file which I
>> can put up in the same directory, if that works.
>>
> Yes, that would be nice.

I will keep images there for now and add the spreadsheet. It shouldn't
become a space problem since my website is all ascii text etc. :)

> Alternatively, we can put this
> information in a tooltip.  What do you think?

Personally I like the tooltip. In my head anyway it is less intrusive.

> Glenn, how do you envision using the H400 images in KStars?  Just in the
> Details window, or also as inline images in the sky display itself?  For the
> latter, I think all we can do is add them to the README.images document,
> where credit for all inline messier images is listed.

Well, it's interesting ... of course I really started thinking about it
once I started emailing people for permissions & they'd ask questions! :D
Honestly, I think KStars handles inline images better than any other app I
have experience ... on Windows for example I use Guide 8 which is a
wonderful program, but the inline images show up as square overlaid photos
where in KStars they look pretty integrated. Inline images in KStars LOOK
like they take a lot of work to get right -- is that the case?

Because the inline images /look/ so good I'd say get as many of the H400s
inline as possible, but ... if that's a crudload of work ... ?

The thing that would seem 'easy' in comparison is to at least have 400
nice NGCs (minus the ones that are Messier objects of course) show up in
the details menu.

Finally - not to raise a completely different issue, but maybe the
Herschel 400 isn't the best list? I've been surprised a number of times by
what isn't (and conversely what is) on it. Maybe a Caldwell Object List +
a RASC "Best NGC" list ... not sure.

Glenn

Glenn Becker - burningc at sdf.lonestar.org