[Kstars-devel] Boxdoerfer MTS-3 (Indi-?) Support

Raphael Errani Raphael.Errani at gmx.de
Sun Aug 27 17:22:43 CEST 2006

Hey,

Now I'm using Kstars for some time and, imho it is a great
sky-chart-program but yet it doesn't support my telescope driver.
I'm using a MTS-3 by Boxdoerfer, a German company that produces really
great telescope-controllers.
Yet, there aren't any official linux-drivers for this controller even if
the protocol the MTS-3 uses is really easy to understand.
I've written a little python-program that allows to communicate with the
MTS-3. (-> http://www.ewetel.net/~errani.schwiedel/mixed/mts.py )
It would be great if we could design a driver for using kstars to move
the mount with the MTS-3.
The communication with the MTS-3 is easy:
There are a couple of commands you can use with sending a single byte to
the MTS-3.
Other commands request a 32bit-integer or a 32-bit float to be loaded
into the controller's memory before calling the one-byte-command.
The controller tells you, how many half steps the motor has rotated so
you can easily check the mount's position.
It would be great if we could stay in contact and if I could help
developing a MTS-3-driver for Kstars.
Please excuse my bad english...

Regards,
Raphael