[Kstars-devel] Cities.dat collation and 475 new Canadian cities

Patrice Levesque kstars.wayne at ptaff.ca
Tue Apr 4 14:10:30 CEST 2006

Hi!

    A friend of mine gave me a list of 475 Canadian cities with all needed
    details (TZ, DST) for inclusion in kstars' Cities.dat.

    After formatting his data in the Cities.dat format, I wanted to merge it,
    but I find I can't determine the collation order of the Cities.dat file.

    In console terms, `sort Cities.dat | diff Cities.dat -` gives me output
    even after trying with different LC_ALL/LC_COLLATE environment
    variables.

    Is this subtle ordering intended?

    How can I merge the 475 cities without resorting to strong coffee and Vim?

--
        kstars.wayne at ptaff.ca