[Kstars-devel] earth orbiting spacecraft with TLE, SGP4 and SDP4

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Sun Nov 20 00:35:48 CET 2005

Hi Bernard,

Glad to hear from you.  There's no recommended environment for kstars;
many of us do use KDevelop, but it isn't required.

Unfortunately, you will probably need the latest development code to add
this feature to KStars.  The reason is, that we have totally reorganized
the way we handle the collection of objects that get drawn in the map.

We are now using a "Component/Composite" design pattern, which optimizes
modularity and code reuse.  Basically, any entity that is drawn in the
map is represented as a Component class (e.g., AsteroidsComponent,
StarsComponent, SunComponent, etc).  Each Component takes care of
updating and drawing itself to the SkyMap.  If you download the code
from SVN trunk, you can examine the existing code in
kstars/kstars/skycomponents to see how it works.  There's also a README
file in that directory that explains it all in more detail.

The problem is: currently, trunk is not compilable.  I've been working
on it whenever I have a spare moment, and it's getting close, but we're
not there yet.  The good news is that the skycomponents directory does
compile, so you can add your files there and at least get it compiling.

So, it's sort of a messy time to join us, but don't let that stop you!
KStars under Qt4 is going to be really cool, and it would really be
great to have the satellites in there.

Feel free to email the list or any of us with questions (Thomas and I
probably know the most about the Components stuff at this point).

thanks,
Jason