[Kstars-devel] new tarball release policy?

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Wed Jun 22 19:02:12 CEST 2005

Hello,

Carsten has recently committed a ruby script that makes creating a release
tarball for KStars very easy.  It's better than svn2dist, because that script
is not able to package libkdeedu, so basically I have been making release
tarballs by hand.

Carsten is going to LinuxTag, and he says that last time, lots of people were
asking how to download the latest KStars.  So this year, he will be providing
a snapshot of KStars from the current SVN (trunk).  He also suggested we post
a news item about it on our webpage.

However, this would be the first time we've ever released a tarball for which
we hadn't done any systematic QA testing.  I think this testing is important,
but I'm also excited about being able to provide recent snapshots to
interested users, who could provide timely feedback on the stuff we are
currently working on.

So, I propose that we add a "snapshot" series to our download section, but
keep it separate from the latest "stable" release download, and add prominent
text that this code hasn't been vetted against bugs.  I would set up a cron
job to use Carsten's script to make a new snapshot and upload it to my
webserver every week.

Any feedback?