[Kstars-devel] Qt4 porting

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Sun Jun 5 04:12:26 CEST 2005

On Saturday 04 June 2005 5:50 pm, Jason Harris wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Well, we already have an issue to deal with.  People outside our team are
> starting to port the kde4 branch already.  What should we do about it?
>
> 1) try to prevent it, as it obviously conflicts with my proposed plan, or
>
> 2) allow it to happen, and maybe most of the porting work will be done "for
> free"?

I prefer approach #1

> My knee-jerk reaction was (1), but I asked about this on kde-edu, and the
> possibility of (2) was pointed out to me.  I don't think (2) is very
> likely, but the bottom line is, we are asking people not to help us with a
> huge, boring task.  That just seems wrong. :)
>
> What do you think?  Just go ahead and let kde4 stuff happen, and we'll
> ignore it and finish our 3.5 stuff first?  Another possibility is to "go
> with the flow", and attempt a rapid conversion to qt4 *now*, so that we can
> continue features-development in kde4 without too much interruption.  The
> disadvantage here is that 3.5 would be a pretty minor release, but it was
> always going to be a stopgap anyway.

I think it's better to "focus" on 3.5, then later on "focus" on Qt4 porting.
Maybe it will be hard preventing people outside the team modifying the Qt4
branch, but that's fine. When we get the point of actual porting, we can use
their modifications, if any, as helpful hints for us in the porting process.

- Jasem