[Kstars-devel] weird issue in observing list

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Fri Jun 3 16:46:53 CEST 2005

Hello,

I started seeing a very odd behavior a few days ago, where the "Center" and
"Details" buttons (and probably "Scope" too) in the observing list tool were
non-functional.

I don't understand the problem, but I have a workaround.  Before I commit it,
I was hoping people could test the Observing List tool, and report whether
the Center/Scope/Details buttons work for them, and their current version of
Qt and KDE.  I suspect the problem started when I updated kdelibs and Qt from
svn recently.  If your tests support the hypothesis, I will send a bug report
upstream.

(details of the problem follow, for those interested...)

I traced the problem to the fact that the "current()" pointer of the
"QPtrList<SkyObject> obsList" variable in ObservingList is somehow being
reset to NULL.  That is, at the end of slotNewSelection() (which is called
when the set of highlighted objects in the Observing List Tool UI is
changed), obsList.current() points to the highlighted object if one object is
highlighted, and is NULL otherwise.  However, at the top of
slotCenterObject() or any other button slot, obsList.current() is always
NULL.

thanks,

KStars: KDE Planetarium
http://edu.kde.org/kstars